Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What People See.....

Everyone has a different idea of  "clean and organized". They are not the same.

For some people, clean means that they can find what they are looking for. It doesn't matter how long it takes. Five minutes, an hour, a few days. It doesn't matter. If they can find it, the room is clean and organized.

For some of us, that doesn't exactly cut it. For me, I need to have everything in a designated place. But I don't judge.

O.K. .... I do when I'm walking around the block. I admit it. When I'm walking and people have their garages open and you can't even see the back of the garage because "stuff" is piled from floor to ceiling.... I want to secretly clean out their garage. I can't help it. It's not about them. It's about me. I have a need to see things put away in their place.

But most of all, I wonder. I wonder if they care that other people can see their disorganized space. I'm sure they don't. It only seems to bother me.

For most of the people that I work with they don't let other people see their disorganized house. It's hidden behind closed doors. But when the garage door is open, everyone can see their disorganized space.

But it also makes me think about a client that I had who had one of the neatest garages that I have ever seen and who thought his garage was messy. I told him, "it's a garage, it's not supposed to be perfectly clean".

People have different levels of  "what bothers them".  But it also has to do with "what other people see".

So if you are going to open your garage and you know it's not as organized as your neighbors would appreciate, you have two choices. Clean out your garage (and who knows if you'll find a car in there) or keep your garage doors closed.



Organizational Consulting Services

www.organizationalconsultingservices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment