Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

ORGANIZING YOUR OFFICE MOVE

Congratulations, your company is growing and you are moving into a bigger office space. It’s an exciting time.

Business has not been good and you need to downsize to a smaller space. It’s happening everywhere.

Your lease is up and your landlord has decided not to renew your lease so you need to find new space.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is…. a business move brings with it a lot of details that you don’t have to deal with in a house move.

For companies that are open 24 / 7 and have clients that need their attention it becomes even more complicated.

Having a very organized “moving plan” is crucial in making the transition as painless as possible. Plan ahead and send a letter to your clients and customers with your new address and contact information. Have new literature and business cards printed with your new information (or print new address labels).

When I moved my first company to a larger office space I had every detail worked out. As always, nothing in my life ever goes as planned. I woke up on the morning of the move covered in hives from head to toe! I had no idea what was happening to me but I was expecting the carpet installers, the phone company, the electrician, the computer people, the movers and my staff…..so I wore a turtleneck and covered up and met the movers at my old office and didn’t say a word about my “unexpected dilemma”.

Prior to moving day and to make the move go smoothly I had everyone first clear out their desks and offices of anything that was not crucial and had them purge as much as possible. I then assigned everyone a color and had them put colored dots on their computers, phones, files, desks, chairs and anything else in their office.

When the movers came to the new office space there were colored dots on the office doors and they were easily able to figure out where everything went. One person was assigned to answer the phones while everyone else set up their offices.

By noon the entire office was in place, the phones and computers were connected and my staff could continue with business as usual. I then went across the street to see the doctor to find out that I had an allergic reaction to some antibiotics. No one ever knew and the move was painless for everyone else.

By planning ahead you reduce the stress on moving day. Not everyone has the luxury of shutting down their business for a day or two so that they can move. Have a backup plan for everything because something will go wrong. But by being prepared for the worst you can be pleasantly surprised by how smoothly a move can go.

Enjoy your new space !

Organizational Consulting Services

www.organizationalconsultingservices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment